It is the intention of this compact to promote Fair Play and Respect for all
participants. It is expected that all parents of participants read and understand the Parent’s Code of Conduct and continue to observe and follow all the principles contained within the Code throughout the year.
1. I will not force my child to participate in hockey. I will try to make it FUN!
2. I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflict without resorting to hostility or violence.
3. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of the game. I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and hard.
4. I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
5. I will remember that children learn by example. I will applaud good plays by both my child’s team and their opponents. I will not be critical of, or embarrass any player, including opposition players.
6. I will never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public. I recognize that officials are being developed in the same manner as players.
7. I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteers who give their time to hockey for my child.
8. I will never yell, taunt, threaten or inflict physical violence upon any player, coach, official or spectator at any youth hockey activity. I will refrain from the use of abusive or vulgar language, racial, ethnic or gender-related slurs at any time at the rink or any youth hockey function. I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from youth hockey games.
9. I will leave the coaching to the coaching staff. I will encourage my player in a manner consistent with the team’s strategy or plans.
10. I will emphasize skill development and a serious approach to practices and explain how skill development will benefit my child.
11. I will attempt to learn about the game of hockey (USA Hockey rules, equipment, levels, skills, etc.) so that I may best support my child’s development in the game.
12. I will not throw objects of any kind on the ice, or lean over and pound on the glass.
13. I will communicate all and any concerns regarding inappropriate behavior to the team manager and/or coach.
14. I will insist that my child plays in a safe and healthy environment. I will support a sports environment that is free of alcohol, drugs or tobacco and I will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
15. I understand the benefits from participating in a team sport, the commitment, the discipline and the social skills learned and acquired.
16. I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not mine.